Welcome to the Village of Arthur Illinois


Water & Sewer Departments

How do I apply for water/sewer service?
  1. Go to Village of Arthur located at 120 E Progress;
  2. Present a driver's license or some other form of photo identification;
  3. make a $100 deposit
When is my Water & Sewer bill due?

Water & Sewer bills are due by the fifteenth (15th) of each month.  If you do not pay until after the fifteenth (15th), a late charge, as stated on the original bill, is added to the bill.  If you do not pay by the twenty-five(25th), a fifty dollar ($50.00) penalty is added to the bill to cover employee costs of disconnection and re-connection.  Re-connection will not occur until all charges and penalties are paid in full.


If a payment date falls on a Sunday or Postal Holiday, the payment is due on the next business day.

The payment must REACH the Village of Arthur by the appropriate date, during business hours.  Post date is not considered payment date.

What methods of payment does the Village accept?

The Village accepts, cash, checks, money orders, and credit cards. 

Where do I pay my water/sewer bill?

Water/Sewer bills are payable to the Village of Arthur and may be paid at The Village of Arthur Municipal Office at 120 E Progress.  Bills may be paid in person, put in the drop box, mailed or paid online.

Does the Village estimate water/sewer bills?

It is never estimated. 

How do I check for a water leak?

First, turn off all water in and outside of your house.  DO NOT turn off the main shut off valve.


Checking for Leaks:


Determining if there is a leak inside the house:

Locate and look at your water meter and take notice of the small triangle on the face of the meter.  Is it moving?  If no water is being used, there would be no movement of this triangle.  If the triangle is moving, there is a leak in the house or in your service line.

Locating the leak in the house:

From our experience, 90% of the leaks found in residential plumbing systems are found at the toilet tank. To check for a leak, do the following:

  • If you have checked the water meter and the triangle is spinning, you should then go to all the toilet(s) in the house and shut them off at their shut off valves.  Recheck the water meter to determine if this stops the triangle from spinning.  If it does, then proceed to turn on,one at a time, the toilet(s) at their shut off valves until you can determine which one is causing the triangle to spin.


  • Drop a few drops of food coloring in the tank (the back) of the toilet and wait a few minutes.  Do not flush the toilet.  If the food coloring makes its way down to the bowl of the toilet, there is a leak.  When the toilet is running properly, there will be no food coloring in the bowl.
  • Check all faucets and spigots in or on the property to verify they are properly shut off. 
  • Other possibilities for inside leaks are malfunctioning water softeners and humidifiers.


Locating the leak in your service line:


If you have completed the steps above and have found that you do not have any water running inside the house and all outside faucets are shut off, please call the Water Department at 217-543-2813 or the Municipal Office at 217-543-2927 to have a Village employee check your service line.  They will help you determine where the leak may be coming from.  You may need to contact a plumber to have the leak repaired.

Who should I contact if I have a water leak after hours or on the weekends?

If you have an after hours emergency, please call the Police Department at 543-3141 and an on-call Village employee will be notified and dispatched.

Do I need to notify the Village when I move out?

Yes, in advance of moving out.  It is necessary that you contact  the Village of Arthur, to close your account.  This may be done by phone or in person.  You will need to state the date you want your account closed and where to send your final bill.  You will be responsible for payment of services through the date of you closing.


The phone number for Village of Arthur is 217-543-2927.

Can I turn my water meter on or off?

No.  A Village employee will do this for you at no cost.  The water meter is the property of the Village of Arthur and damages to the meter could be charged to you.  Call the Water Department at 543-2252 or Village Hall 543-2927. For an emergency after hours, please call the Police Department 543-3141 and an-call Village employee will be notified and dispatched.

How are we notified when hydrants are to be flushed?

A notice will be published in the Arthur-Graphic Clarion informing residents when the hydrants will be flushed.

If I find color-coded flags, stakes or paint in my yard, who left them and what do they mean?

Red - Electric
Yellow - Gas, Oil, or Petroleum
Orange - Communications
Blue - Potable Water
Green - Sewer
Purple - Reclaimed Water
Pink - Temporary Survey
White - Proposed Excavation

Choose a Category
About Village Hall
Police Department
Street Department
Water & Sewer Departments