Welcome to the Village of Arthur Illinois


Police Department

How do I reach the Arthur Police Department?

The Police Department is located in the Municipal Building located at 120 E. Progress Street, Arthur Illinois  61911.


The telephone number for the Police Department is 217-543-3141.  The Fax number is 217-543-3714.  You may also dial 911 to reach the Arthur Police Department.

When are police officers on duty?

The Arthur Police Department provides 24-hour protection for our citizens.  There is always an officer on duty.

How many police officers does the Village of Arthur have?

The Arthur Police Department is made up of 6 full-time officers.

The Police Department provides 24-hour protection to the citizens of Arthur.

Does the Arthur Police Department have a D.A.R.E. Program?

Yes, since 1987 the Arthur Police Department has had a D.A.R.E. program.  Each spring, all sixth grade students attend a weekly session held during the regular school day.  The class is taught by Michael S. Goodman, Chief of Police.

What is curfew?

The Village of Arthur follows the same guidelines regarding curfew as the State of Illinois.

Curfew applies to persons under 17 years of age.


Sunday night through Thursday night, curfew is 11 p.m.
Friday and Saturday nights, curfew is midnight



Sunday night through Thursday night, curfew is 10 p.m.
Friday and Saturday nights, curfew is 11 p.m.
(No detours or stops allowed past curfew)

Does the Arthur Police Department unlock vehicles?


There is a $20 charge to unlock vehicles in the corporate limits of Arthur and a $50 charge to unlock vehicles within 6 miles outside the corporate limits of Arthur.

Does the Village allow burning?

Effective March 1, 2004, the Board of Trustees of the Village of Arthur passed Ordinance 03-01b-04 regarding burning.


According to State Law, municipalities with a population of over 1,000 residents must not allow the burning of household waste, garbage, or municipal waste.  The Village of Arthur is complying with the State Law in the banning of these burnings.


Landscape waste may still be burned with some restrictions.  The definition of landscape waste is all accumulation of grass or shrubbery cuttings, leaves,or tree limbs.  Burn barrels may still be used to burn landscape waste only.


Landscape restrictions include:

  1. Landscape waste shall only be burned on the premises on which such waste is generated.
  2. Landscape waste shall be burned only when atmospheric conditions shall readily dissipate contaminants.
  3. Landscape waste may be burned only if such burning does not create a visibility hazard on roadways, walkways or railroad tracks.
  4. The open burning of landscape waste may only begin during daylight hours when a person over the age of eighteen (18) years is in attendance during the entire period of the burning, and the flames and smoke created by said burning are extinguished before 7:00 p.m. or before sundown, whichever shall first occur.
  5. No open burning may occur during periods of time when determined by the fire chief or chief of police that atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous.


This Ordinance shall not apply to wood, charcoal, gas operated grills, and small wood bonfires.

Any person who violates any of the provisions of this Ordinance shall be fined not less than Fifty Dollars ($50.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) for each and every offense.  A separate offense shall be deemed committed upon each day during or on which a violation occurs or continues.


Copies of this Ordinance may be picked up at the Municipal Office, 120 E. Progress Street, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. or you may refer to Section 6 Chapter 6 of the Village Code of Arthur.

Does the Village of Arthur have a leash law?

Yes, the Village of Arthur has a "Leash Law".  Dogs and Cats are not permitted to run at large.

For more information please read Section 6 Chapter 5 of the Village Code of Arthur.

When do the warning sirens get tested?

The warning sirens get tested the first Tuesday of each month at 10 a.m.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

To get a copy of a police report, you will need to fill out a Freedom of Information Request Form.


FOIA Request Form

Choose a Category
About Village Hall
Police Department
Street Department
Water & Sewer Departments